Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Extreme emotions

Have you ever felt connected to everything?

Have you ever felt that your life was small, tiny, a fragment of everything's existence?

Have you ever seen your life from a bird's eye view?

I'm guessing most people have. We always see something extremely emotional - whether it be how beautiful our life is, or how terrible. But these emotions are short lived, usually no more than an hour (if soberly-derived...). Yet, most of us don't change after these, most of us act as if "wow that was crazy..." (back to work!).

Why?

Don't you ever see those movies where the person drops everything their doing, quits their job, sells their house, does exactly what they would like to? We grab that feeling (the empathy within us [See my post " A day in the life"]) for a short bit, we leave the movie theater feeling hopeful for our lives or questioning whether we're on the right path.  These extreme emotions could launch us into the ideal life. It could launch us into extreme, beneficial change, improvement, evolution.

But it dissipates. Why? Why do we regress? Why do we give into societys' norms, crumbling back into the cubicle, the manual labor, we don't sell the house, we don't travel, we don't explore the world.

As I write this the feeling rises like the tide in my gut. Slowly I, too, realize I am not at my full potential. I have a future, I have plans, goals, but they aren't what I wanted when I was 5 (a pure, although immature, perspective on life). I want to build a greenhouse. I'd like to travel the world. I'd like to live for a few months in the Yukon, the Amazon. I'd like to sky dive. I'd like to write my names on the walls of all the great cities. I'd like to invent. I'd like to solve, to create. I'd like to help.

Why do we 'settle' with our lives.

If you read this, I beg you. Do exactly what you want. Feed these emotions. Strive, build, think, learn.

Be who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment